Research Excellence Framework 2021
In REF 2021 almost all (91%) of the Department's research activity was judged as being internationally excellent, with 50% being world-leading. More specifically,
- 55% of our research outputs were judged as being world-leading, 41.7% as internationally excellent and 3.3% as internationally recognised;
- 66.7% of our impact cases studies were judged as world leading and the remaining 33.3% as internationally excellent;
- 50% of our research environment we assessed as internationally excellent and teh remaining 50% as internationally recognised.
View the results in full on the REF2021 website.
The Department submitted three case studies, demonstrating the range of impact of the department's research:
- Roman Kontchakov and Michael Zakharyaschev: Virtual Knowledge Graphs in Industry and the Public Sector
- George Roussos: Global Standards for Smart City Infrastructure: Entity Identification Systems
- George Roussos and David Weston: Enhancing Vehicle Deployment Strategies at the London Ambulance Service
The Department has improved considerably compared to REF 2014 by achieving a GPA (grade point average) of 3.41, which ranks us 23rd in a competitive discipline with 90 UK institutions (see Times Higher Education for the full rankings).